Cognitive Growth: Piaget and Vygotsky
HD101 Week 5
Ch. 5 Cognitive Growth: Piaget and Vygotsky
Write responses to each of the following questions. Write the responses in your own words, do not copy and paste from your textbook, or another source. Cite a reference for the information provided for each question. Include a reference list.
· Responses to questions are accurate. – 5 points
· Each question has a reference citation in APA format; reference list is included/accurate. – 2 points.
· Responses are written in student’s voice. – 3 points.
1. Please define the following terms:
2. List and describe Piaget’s 4 stages of cognitive growth, including the age range for each stage:
Stage 1 – _____________( – years):
Stage 2 – _____________( – years):
Stage 3 – _____________( – years):
Stage 4 – _____________( – years):
3. Define the following terms:
4. According to Piaget, Action = __________________.
5. Labouvie-Vief described the concept “postformal thought.” What does this mean?
6. Describe Schaie’s stages of cognitive growth.
7. Vygotsky believed that social interaction and language were important aspects of cognitive development. Define:
Zone of Proximal Development
6. What are 2 general contributions that Piaget’s theory contributes to understanding cognitive development?
7. What are 2 general contributions that Vygotsky’s theory contributes to understanding cognitive development?