How can the choices made within the role you chose affect the outcome of the study and those who are participating in the study?
RESEARCH METHODS UNIT 2 DISCUSSION
Unit 2: Ethical Issues in Psychology Research – Discussion
Please read the following in your text:
· Chapter 3: “Conducting Ethical Research”
· Appendix A: “Communicating Research Results”
· Appendix B: “American Psychological Association Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct”
Your post should be at least 300–350 words in length and should extend the discussion of the group supported by your course materials and/or other appropriate resources.
It is important for research to be conducted ethically in the field of psychology. This is important for protecting research participants from potential harm and ensuring that their rights are not violated. There are often many different people who work on a research project. Anyone who is part of a research study can run into ethical issues. At these times, the choice made can have important outcomes for the participant, the study, and the person who is making the choice.
Watch the interactive video “The Research Clinic” and choose which role you want to assume (Principal Investigator, Study Coordinator, IRB administrator, Research Assistant). Then, answer the following:
1. Discuss two of the choices you had to make and what you learned about ethical issues from these choices.
2. How can the choices made within the role you chose affect the outcome of the study and those who are participating in the study?
3. What factors (ex., personal, funding, etc.) might sometimes lead to unethical choices?
Here is the reference for the video!!
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Office of Research Integrity. (n.d.). The research clinic. Podcast retrieved from http://ori.hhs.gov/TheResearchClinicVideo/