Minority Health Matters[WLOs: 1, 3] [CLOs: 1, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, please read Chapters 10, 11, and 12 of the course textbook. After reading this week’s assigned chapters, it is clear that the United States has a long way to go in terms of caring for and treating those in need. As you read, minorities in the United States typically have the most significant morbidity and mortality rates across all diseases. In this assignment, focus on one of the minority populations listed below and provide a comprehensive overview of the population and the health issues they uniquely face. If you belong to a minority population, try to examine a different population than your own.
Minority population groups:
- American Indian/Alaskan Native
- Asian/Pacific Islander
In your paper,
- Identify the population size of minority population in the United States.
- Indicate the primary locations of residence (i.e., regions, states, and cities).
- Estimate the projected growth of minority population in the United States.
- Illustrate a brief history of this population (i.e., country or continent of origin, primary time of migration to the United States, and key hardships faced from initial growth to today) in the United States.
- If you chose American Indian/Alaskan Native, you can change country or continent of origin and primary time of migration to tribal areas in the United States, subjection, and dates of forced exile and size of reservations.
- Explain the rates of heart disease, stroke, and cancer in this population and how these rates compare to the U.S. average.
- As you read, heart disease, stroke, and cancer are the top three causes of mortality across the United States, so this comparison will demonstrate if your chosen population suffers more or less from these diseases.
- Hypothesize the suspected causes for the higher or lower rates of heart disease, stroke, and cancer compared to others not in this population
- Differentiate the unique diseases and ailments that target this population.
- For example, Tay Sachs disease has a higher incidence in the Jewish population.
- Explain why these unique diseases and ailments are suspected of affecting this population more than others.
- Explain what programs exist to help this population with all of the above illnesses and diseases.
- Explain what barriers exist to your population using these programs more.
- Argue what programs you would like to see put into place to assist this population.
- Identify how they address the previously noted barriers.
- Defend why you believe your program would be successful in areas where others have failed.
- Provide the contact information for the nearest public health office knowing the areas most dense with your population.
The Minority Health Matters assignment
- Must be at least three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA StyleLinks to an external site. as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft WordLinks to an external site. resource.
- Must include a separate title pageLinks to an external site. with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (The University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic VoiceLinks to an external site. resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & ConclusionsLinks to an external site. and Writing a Thesis StatementLinks to an external site., refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least two scholarly or government sources. Be sure to integrate your research rather than simply inserting it
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- See the University of Arizona Global Campus Library’s Advanced Internet Search TechniquesLinks to an external site. tip sheet for assistance in finding online government resources.
- See the Writing Center’s Integrating ResearchLinks to an external site. for more information.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your PaperLinks to an external site. guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References ListLinks to an external site. resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading RubricLinks to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.