Go to the Department of Corrections’ Website for your state, and research two (2) of your state’s correctional facilities. Next, use the Internet and Strayer Library to research the budgetary constraints that correctional officials must adhere to in order to operate correctional facilities.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
1. Determine whether diversion programs are only beneficial to offenders charged with misdemeanors and non-violent felonies or whether they are also beneficial to offenders charged with felonies and violent crimes. Recommend whether or not the two (2) correctional facilities that you researched would benefit from diversion programs. Provide a rationale for your response.
2. Take a position as to whether or not privatized correctional facilities are better alternatives to public correctional facilities. Support your position with one (1) successful example what you believe to be the better alternative.
3. Examine the budgetary constraints that correctional officials work with as they operate correctional facilities. Determine the major trade-offs made between the policy for proper funding and the practice of proper funding to prevent recidivism. Provide a rationale for your response.
4. Use at least four (4) peer-reviewed sources. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Recommend improvements to selected areas of corrections.
· Analyze various issues in corrections, including effective community corrections programs, probation and parole, and reentry strategies.
· Analyze the operational components of prisons, jails, and alternative correctional placements.
· Propose specific components of an institutional facility model based on effective management policies and procedures for a specified group of inmates.
· Use technology and information resources to research issues in correctional facility policies.
· Write clearly and concisely about correctional facility policies using proper writing mechanics.