Create a 15-minute oral presentation (3–4 pages) that examines the moral and ethical issues related to triaging patients in an emergency room.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Explain the effect of health care policies, legislation, and legal issues on health care delivery and patient outcomes.
- Explain the health care policies that can affect emergency care.
- Recommend evidence-based decision-making strategies nurses can use during triage.
- Competency 3: Apply professional nursing ethical standards and principles to the decision-making process.
- Describe the moral and ethical challenges nurses can face when following hospital policies and protocols.
- Explain how health care disparities impact treatment decisions.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with expectations of nursing professionals.
- Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Correctly format citations and references using APA style.
Questions To ConsiderTo deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
- How does a triage nurse decide which patient gets seen first?
- How does health disparity affect the triage nurse’s decision making?
- What ethical and moral issues does the triage nurse take into account when making a decision?
- What are triage-level designations?
- APA Paper Template.
- APA Paper Tutorial.