The administrator’s presentation, based on your briefing, was so well received by the board members that they asked to see a proposal for a hospital-based outpatient facility. In fact, the board suggested that the administrator ask you to take the lead in the project. Your administrator is already working at her max, so she fully supports you in leading the way. Incidentally, the new facility will be housed in a separate off-campus building and will be owned and operated by the hospital.
Select and research a hospital-based outpatient facility type from the list below to use in your course project. You will plan this facility throughout Weeks 3, 4, and 5. If you would like to use a facility type not listed here, please check with your faculty member for approval.
- Doctors’ office (specify specialty)
- Diagnostic facility (specify lab, imaging, etc.)
- Rehabilitation or treatment facility (specify type)
- Satellite department (specify department)
- Long-term care facility (specify type)
- Identify the type of facility you selected.
- Identify the specific location where your facility will be built (e.g., state, city, and neighborhood).
- Describe services to be offered at the facility.
- Describe the regional demographics and demographics of the patients who are projected to use the facility.
- Describe the facility’s role in the area’s health care industry. Include information on anticipated referral patterns and competition.
- Describe key physical structural characteristics of the facility. Health care facilities have uniquely defined characteristics based on the needs of the facility or population served. Poor design may lead to staff, visitor, or patient stress. In large facilities, the inability to find a department may lead to frustrations and disorientation. Poor layout may also lead to staff inefficiencies or fines because of failure to meet regulatory requirements.
Reference and cite the textbook, Healthcare Facility Planning: Thinking Strategically, and at least 1 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar reference.
Format your citations and references according to APA guidelines.