In Unit 1, you discovered that culture is a complex term in the Humanities. Culture is a presentation of the arts and other manifestations of human achievement collectively ‘and’ culture is the collective customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social groups. In other words, culture can be ‘vast’ as in popular culture, such as a music icon, or it can be ‘intimate,’ such as a street performer playing a stringed instrument.
For this first assignment, you will investigate the culture of a city in one of the following geographical locations:
- Central and South America
Create a PowerPoint presentation with images and text that explore the culture of the city you chose in these 5 specific areas:
- Society (this can include customs, holidays, and economic and government systems)
- Geography (include the location in the world and topography information (mountains, ocean front, metropolitan city, etc.)
Topic examples: Some students were or are a part of the military and have been deployed to places all over the world. Perhaps you spent a winter in the snow-covered German mountains or lived with a view of Japan’s Mount Fuji, and the experience gave you deeper insights into yourself, your life goals, etc.
- Title slide that provides your name, course name, date, and name of the city whose culture is being explored (Slide 1)
- Content slides that explore the cultural component, including an image and key points in bullets. Aim for 3 relevant bullets per slide. (Slides 2 – 6). Note: You will expand on the bullet points for each slide in a separate script or the notes section, using 2 or 3 well-developed sentences for each bullet point
- Reflection slide: in a well-developed paragraph, share the ‘why’ and the ‘how’ learning about this culture has impacted your understanding of the components of culture. (Slide 7)
- Reference slide: for images/sources used. (Slide 8)
If you use source material, please be sure it is academically credible and that you validate any sources used by creating in-text citations and references in APA format.