Please read the following case study details. Then answer the questions below.
You are a nurse caring for children in a rural clinic. This clinic serves most of the area’s population and provides comprehensive pediatric healthcare. This includes things such as: primary and urgent care needs, vaccinations, and care for all ages of children.
Sawyer is a 7-year-old male brought to the clinic by his mother Kristen. FOB not involved. Kristen states that Sawyer hasn’t been feeling well for the past few days and thought he just had a cold.
“My son started running a fever today and isn’t feeling well.”
Weight: 60 lbs.
Length: 52 inches
Pulse: 80 bpm
Respiratory rate: 16
Blood pressure: 100/75 mmHg
Head- Symmetrical Features, patient complains of headache
Eyes- Glasses in place
Ears- Ear pain bilaterally
Nose- increased congestion
Mouth and Teeth- Visible dental caries noted, Tonsils 3+
Oropharynx- Complains of sore throat, redness noted
Neck/nodes- lymph nodes swollen bilaterally
Respiratory- Pt complains of cough and intermittent SOB on exertion. At rest breathing is even and unlabored. Labored with activity. Wheezing noted bilaterally.
Cardiovascular- No murmur noted on auscultation
Abdominal- Patient complains of nausea, denies pain.
Genitalia- Testes descended bilaterally
Musculoskeletal/hips- Full ROM bilaterally
Neurologic/reflexes- 2+ patellar reflexes
Skin- eczema noted to upper arms bilaterally
Other: Immunizations UTD
- Based on the limited assessment provided, what areas are you most concerned about?
- What additional assessment and diagnostics are a priority for this patient?
***Answer the first 2 questions prior to answering further questions.***
- Sawyer’s SOB continues to get worse. Sawyer is now in a tripod position, drooling, and having difficulty swallowing.
- What do these changes lead you to believe is going on? What is the likely cause of this?
- What are the priorities of care for this patient? What should the nurse do and not do in this situation?
- What is the immediate treatment for this issue that the nurse should prepare for?
- How should the nurse approach communication and education with Kristen during this progressing situation?
- Add a question: After you have analyzed the content from the discussion board, please add a question to the end of your initial post regarding the reading material for the week.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.